Tonight is a bitter sweet night for me. This might seem absurdly silly to a lot of people, and that is ok. But I also know there are a few of you out there that will totally appreciate this because you have been there with me, through thick and thin, going through our own drama, angst and heartache. And of course those all night marathons.....
Tonight marks the end of an amazing production on television. Gossip Girl. The end to a great show on television, and almost symbolically it feels like, an end to a chapter in my life as well. (It's ok go ahead and laugh all you that don't understand. This post isn't for you. It's for me and my fellow Upper East Siders. )
When I was 20 GG premiered. But, being behind on the up and coming I didn't watch it when it first started. In fact, my good friend Gentri Lee introduced me to the show when it was on it's 6th episode. This episode definitely changed my life in more ways than one. It was an episode about a masquerade ball. Glitzy and glamourous, with beautiful people with exquisite settings and everything they wanted at their fingertips. (As a side note this episode was the inspiration for my most successful event in my college career. My own masked ball at BYU-Idaho. That holds the school record for the most well attended dance ever... toot toot, thats my own horn.)
I quickly became entranced by the crazy drama of the show and the amazing actors, the love stories of course, and the fashion. OH THE FASHION! I'd never seen such stylish things. It put everything else I'd ever seen to shame. I immediately had to go out and buy 30 headbands just so I could do my hair like Blair Waldorf's. Without Gossip Girl I'd have never been introduced to Henri Bendel. I wouldn't have fallen in love with lace and brocade and high waisted skirts and ruffles. This show is single handedly responsible for every single drop of my fashion sense.
Some of you might be wondering where I'm going with this, I know this is just a TV show to so many people, but for me it was an over exaggerated step by step guide to my life from 20-25. It really went through everything that I was going through and experiencing, definitely a lot more dramatic, but yet still so relatable, and it helped me feel like that no matter the drama I was experiencing with friends or loved ones that at least it wasn't as crazy as what happened on Gossip Girl last night!
When I had heartache, Chuck and Blair were there to give me hope of that great passionate love over coming everything. When I was the victim of pointless roommate drama, or of others spreading awful rumors about me, I was able to deal with it the same way S and B did.
I am grateful for the inspiration, creativity, and confidence that this show brought to me in my early twenties. I'm grateful for the friendships it brought me and I am so grateful for the entertainment and excitement it brought to me every Monday night.
So here's to you Gossip Girl. We've had a great time. And now I'm ready to grow up and move on, so let's make the next chapter even better.
I am dedicating this post to those girls of apartment 5 1 2: Angela, Allie, Beth,
and to Brianna, my very own S.
XOXO
The Mrs.








2 comments:
I just got caught up and finished the other night! So sad it over but soo happy how everything ended! But Lilly remarried her nasty X? Or did I misunderstand that?! Ps have you watched downton abbey? It's gossip girl for grow ups I decided! New series ha
This was the best post ever! Oh so many great nights spent with you trying to find cable ( treadmill, theater room, conference rooms etc.) and watching re-runs on all the days in between! Miss you darling!
Post a Comment