Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Nursery Remodel




(The original room) 

Well these last few months have not been lacking in things to do. We have been anxiously preparing and awaiting the arrival of our little bundle of joy. Who is here by the way! And we are so excited to have him in our lives. He is the best part of my day everyday! Even when I'm running on 0 hours of sleep. 

I wanted to post one of our main projects from this summer. Earlier this year we were fortunate enough to purchase our first home. A beautiful brick front townhome. We have slowly been going through and making it our own. And the nursery was no exception. When trying to choose a nursery theme I knew I wanted to stay away from sports (gasp I know, the hockey mom doesn't want a sports theme?!) I wanted it to be something different than your typical nursery so I settled on a Vintage aviation theme. Focusing mostly on hot air balloons and world travel, while still trying to keep it in the realm of a little boys room. I'm really pleased with how it turned out and we really didn't have to spend too terribly much money which makes it even better. I'll list out below everything we purchased vs what we refinished ourselves. 



John started by putting crown moulding and chair rail up. We did the chair rail higher than standardly done. It's about 2/3 up the wall. The paint colors we used were from Sherwin Williams. The blue is Resolute Blue and the cream is called Designer White. We finished all the trim in a gloss called Snowbound.

John and my dad wired the ceiling fan through our attic access. Finding one small enough for the room was a bit of a challange. The room is only 8x8 essentially so a standard fan was definitely too big. We found this little guy at Lowes for a steal of a deal.


 John and I had many conversations about what to do in the closet. We went to the HoDeDo and actually bought a pre-made built in unit. Upon arriving home John decided he didn't like it and wanted to try and custom make his own. I was 38 weeks and needless to say freaked out a little! However it worked out for the best. I made these size dividers out of scrapbook paper and rings I bought at the container store. I stamped the sizes on the top and love how they turned out.

This chest was an especially fun project. My Mother in law had this peice sitting in her garage. When my mom came to visit we cleaned it up, gave it a fresh coat of paint and then decided to custom fit it to the nursery theme by hand painting hot air balloons onto some old travel maps my mom had from a trip to Europe. I love how it turned out. 
It's probably my favorite piece in the whole room. 


 
 We are using it as a diaper changing station and used bins from Lowes to organize burp clothes, diapers, wipes, and swaddle blankets inside. My changing pad fits perfectly on top of it.

So here are is the finalized product of a summers worth of hard work. 


The rocking chair was my Mother in laws. She used it to rock my husband and all her other children. It fits perfectly in our tiny space! The hot air balloon mobile was hand made by my mother. 

The shelves were a great deal from The Container Store. I made the G and my sister made the two matching map cnvases. The binoculars were a score from a thrift shop in MD that my bestie Gentri got me. The banner was leftover party decorations from my baby shower. 




Johns custom closet. It turned out WAY better than the HoDeDo built in ever could of looked. I guess it was worth it. 



 The crib was a gift from my Mother in law and that amazing basket came from the PA's I worked with. It's full of extra diapers. But I love it because it totally looks like a hot air balloon basket. The rug was a lucky find off amazon but it worked perfectly and is super plush. Both framed pictures were gifts from my mother and my MIL. There are so many custom and personal touches to this room from family members and I think that really makes it even better.

Glad that's over with! Now we just have the rest of the house to go!

Graysons Nursery :

Crib - Babies R Us - gift from MIL
Hot Air balloon Rug - Amazon.com
Rocker - hand me down from MIL
Chest - refinished hand me down from MIL
Crown moulding - custom done by the Mr.
Closet - custom built by the Mr.
Clothes size rings - The Container Store/Michaels
Ceiling Fan - Lowes
Shelves - The Container Store

XOXO

The Mrs.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Les G's nursery is so dang cute!