Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Little Southern Education

So as you can see I posted a new recipe and picture in the right side bar. Now I know lots of you are going to be confused. Hush Puppies? What in the world is that? Not many people have had, or heard of these delectable treats! Which if you ask me is a cryin' shame!

So what exactly is a Hush Puppy? They are basically deep fried corn bread! They are most commonly found served at Barbecues or with seafood in the South. They get their name because back during civil war times cooks or farmers would fry up some corn meal batter and give it to the dogs to keep them quite during fish fries or cook outs. Also slaves would give them to the dogs of their owners in order to "hush the puppies" when they were on the run.

Basic ingredients include cornmeal, flour, salt, eggs, milk or buttermilk, and baking soda. Any number of other ingredients can be included such as green onions, peppers, whole kernels of corn or seafood.

So now that you know a little bit about them you should try the recipe to the right and let me know what you think! They really are delicious and just as southern as can be!

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!

xoxo



3 comments:

Shauna said...

Bud's Fried Chicken makes the best Hush Puppies and now I know how they got their name!

Gentri said...

That's really interesting! Are they the same thing as corn fritters? They sound the same, just a different name.':) if they are- then i know for a fact that they're delicious!

KYoho said...

Oh how I love hush puppies and miss them! I rarely see them places in Utah. I didn't know where they got their name from! And I definitely agree Bud's has the best....