Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Once every 100 million years...

Tonight my Mr. and I got to experience something that the Earth won't get to see again for another 100+ million years. We got to see the Comet Pan STARRS. It was so awesome! My Dad had told me about the opportunity to see the comet just a few nights ago and so I started doing some research to see where it would be located in the sky etc. (space.com was an excellent source) So tonight when we got home from work we hit up our local Five Guys while we waited for the Sun to set and then headed West. 

Comet Hunters! 

Living in NOVA it's hard to find a spot that is high, not developed, and doesn't have lots of trees. We just kind of started driving West. I'll admit I was telling my Mr. to just give up and turn around after a while. I thought for sure we had missed it already. But he just kept going and lo and behold we crested a hill and found a few other people in a parking lot that perfectly, I mean perfectly, looked west, which of course was exactly what we needed! I couldn't of asked for a more perfect location! Thanks for not giving up babe! The unique thing about viewing the comet tonight was that it was going to be very close to the Moon and thus easier to find for the unexperienced astronomer! It was also really low towards the horizon so a clear sky was a must. 

This is the spot we watched it from. the moon had just become visible in this picture. But as far as locations go, we couldn't of asked for more. The moon is pretty much microscopic in this picture. 
I was really glad the other people that were there brought binoculars or we might not have been able to see the comet!! 


 If you want to take part of this once in a lifetime, literally,  you still can! The comet will be visible again for the next week or so but it is fading fast as it travels on it's orbit away from the Sun. Check Space.com for updates on viewing of this comet and for information on the stunner we are supposed to get to see in November! The chart below is from Space.com:


Happy Hunting!

XOXO The Mrs.

No comments: